You can find all the entries here.
An image says more than a thousand words. A great image can stir emotion, communicate a message, or capture a moment, otherwise lost to history. In science, it can also help us to reveal various aspects of our scientific work and inform of scientific findings. In the end, images are the backbones of visualization. Therefore, we are happy to continue also in this year the VCBM image contest.
Images in biology and medicine are extremely versatile, ranging from microscopic photography to information graphs. Therefore, the VCBM image contest is open to various kinds of image submissions related to computational biology and medicine, meaning that visualizations, photorealistic and non-photorealistic rendering, educational illustrations, as well as hand drawn illustrations are welcome. Each participant is allowed to submit up to three images, and at least one of the image authors needs to attend VCBM. We reserve the right to reject submissions if they are deemed to be inappropriate or out of scope. The winners will be selected by a jury based on three criteria: aesthetics, ability to communicate information content, and application relevance.
The best-ranked submission will receive the VCBM Image Award.
All winners will receive great honor within the scientific community and will receive a price. The nature of the prize is a secret at the moment but will be disclosed during the workshop.
Please note that submissions for the image contest are no longer possible.
Submissions can be made via upload to a cloud folder at:
Each participant can submit up to three submissions. The submissions should be zip archives containing the following two files:
the image file:
- high resolution, the smaller dimension of at least 1000 pixels
- file size should not exceed 20 MB
- jpg, png, or tiff
readme.txt containing the following information:
- Image title (max 10 words): e.g., PelVis
- List of authors, their affiliations, and email addresses. The corresponding author should be clearly marked! Submissions without a contact email to the authors will have to be rejected.
- Image caption (max 60 words): e.g., PelVis is an interactive application for surgical planning for the Total Mesorectal Excision procedure. We built an atlas model, the Virtual Surgical Pelvis (VSP), that reveals zones in which the autonomic nerves reside which are not visible in MRI scans. In the PelVis application, we register this atlas to patient-specific clinical MRI data to make patient-specific virtual models.
- Background information for the Jury (max 250 words): Explain how the image was obtained and why it is relevant for VCBM. Feel free to provide any additional information that comes to your mind.
The zip archive file name should follow the following format Last name, underscore, First name, underscore, Image Title, e.g., Jane_Doe_PelVis.zip
The image caption will be used during a display during the workshop and should give the audience any relevant information about the image, its story, location, subject presented etc.
Submissions will be closed on September 20, 2020 at 23:59 (CET). The winners will be announced during a reserved session at the end of the VCBM workshop.
By submitting, contest participants confirm:
- they are the creators of the submitted images and own all the rights to the images,
- they agree that VCBM is not responsible for any infringements of copyrights by third parties,
- they agree that VCBM can use the submitted images with a clear reference to the originator, to promote the conference, without financial compensation of the participants. The creator of the image retains full ownership and the copyright of each entry.